Chương trình Tình nguyện Liên Hợp Quốc (The United Nations Volunteers programme – UNV) đang cần tuyển biên tập viên/chuyên viên truyền thông phục vụ cho Ddự án tăng cường năng lực và phát triển đội ngũ tình nguyện viên tại Việt Nam. Hạn nộp hồ sơ: 27/12/2009.
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is the UN organization that promotes volunteerism to support peace and development worldwide. Volunteerism can transform the pace and nature of development, and it benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for volunteerism globally, encouraging partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing volunteers.
In most cultures volunteerism is deeply embedded in long-established, ancient traditions of sharing and support within the communities. In this context, UNV volunteers take part in various forms of volunteerism and play a role in development and peace together with co-workers, host agencies and local communities. In all assignments, UNV volunteers promote volunteerism through their action and conduct. Engaging in volunteer activity can effectively and positively enrich their understanding of local and social realities, as well as create a bridge between themselves and the people in their host community. This will make the time they spend as UNV volunteers even more rewarding and productive.
1. UNV Assignment Title: Editor/Communications Specialist
2. Type of assignment (International or National UNV volunteer): National UNV volunteer
3. Project Title: Strengthening Capacity of Volunteerism for Development in
4. Duration: 2 years
5. Location, Country:
6. Expected starting date: 1 February 2010
7. Brief Project Description:
Millennium Development Goal 1 has the eradication of extreme poverty as its main objective. This project aims to address this issue through the establishment of a coherent and efficient mechanism for volunteer contributions to
The project aims to support the establishment of the Viet Nam Volunteer Information Resource Centre (VVIRC) as a national volunteering infrastructure under the Ho Chi Minh Communist Youth Union (HCYU), which is the largest national volunteering organisation in
VVIRC will provide valuable contribution to the achievement of the MDGs in general and to poverty reduction, especially for youth and other vulnerable groups in the rural areas, and gender equality, in particular. Through this project, UNV as the designated UN programme for the promotion of volunteerism will be fulfilling its mandated role. UNV programme has collaborated successfully with HCYU in the past in the SVF funded Cultural Heritage Preservation project during the years 2004-2006.
8. Host Agency/Host Institute: Ho Chi Minh Communist Youth
9. Organizational Context: The VDVN project is executed by UNV and implemented by the HCYU
10. Type of assignment place: assignment with family/ without family (please choose)
11. Description of Duties:
Under the direct supervision of project’s ICT team leader and the Project Manager the UNV volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
a. Provide support to the VVIRC website
· The elaboration and editing of news articles and postings and updating of the VVIRC website in two languages (Vietnamese and English)
· Translate existing articles and stories from or into English when required
· Network with Volunteer Involving organizations (VIOs) and HCYU offices at different levels to compile information on volunteer activities and identify stories on the contributions of volunteers to development.
· Edit articles and information received from HCYU, VIOs and UN for posting on VVIRC website
· Support matching of volunteer availability and requirements
· Support the Q&A section of the web-site.
· Mobilize volunteer support to VVIRC activities, e.g online volunteers for translation etc.
b. Support the communication work of the project Team
· Coordinate the production of press releases for VVIRC events and activities
· Develop proposals to enhance visibility of the VVIRC
· Responsible for the development of VVIRC information and promotional materials
· Develop and maintain good media relations to ensure positive cooperation between the media and VVIRC
· Provide advice and support media relations and advocacy activities of VIOs in
· Support and coordinate media production whenever possible to promote the volunteering for development and volunteer contributions to the achievement of MDGs.
· Liaise with Volunteers to obtain stories and help gain media coverage for the stories
c. Furthermore, UNV volunteers are encouraged to:
· Strengthening their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant
UNV and external publications and taking active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark IVD);
· Getting acquainted with and building on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
· Reflecting on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
· Contributing articles/write-ups on field experiences and submitting them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
· Assisting with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UNV volunteers;
· Promoting or advising local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encouraging relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
12. Results/Expected Output:
· VVIRC Website with relevant and motivating articles and information on volunteers and
· VVIRC website in both English and Vietnamese language
· Improved visibility of VVIRC
· Network with VIOs for compilation of articles and information
· Network with on line volunteer for translation of articles
· Relations and networking with press and related websites
· A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for development during your assignment such as specific quantification of mobilized volunteers, activities, capacities.
· Demonstrated experience with translation from and into English language
· Experience in working with the media
· Strong writing and editing skills and demonstrated experience with creating articles for posting on the
· Experience in using a wide range of communications tools; especially in relation to web-sites and other electronic media.
· Experience in the production of publications, and media campaigns.
· Demonstrate personal sensitivity, flexible communications and commitment to the values and principles of volunteerism
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
· University degree in communications/journalism/social sciences or related fields
· Minimum of 3 year experience in communications, media or related fields
· Excellent written, oral and translation skills in English and Vietnamese
· Good interpersonal and organizational skills
· Good office computer skills, including Microsoft office and Adobe Photoshop or similar software used for the production of high quality images.
· Good knowledge of relevant governmental and non-governmental/volunteer organizations in
· Previous volunteer experience is desired
· Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and to deliver under pressure
14. Living Conditions: As this a National UNV position, candidates are already familiar with local living conditions in
15. Conditions of Service A 12-month contract; monthly volunteer living allowance (VLA) intended to cover housing, basic needs and utilities, equivalent to VND9,272,800; medical insurance and other benefits according to condition of Service for national UNV volunteer. They also receive a resettlement allowance equal to one month’s VLA per 12
months assignment upon successful completion of the assignment. Full medical and life insurance is provided, and they are entitled to 30 days annual leave. Please refer to UNV website (http://www.un.org.vn/unv/ ) for more information on National UNV volunteer scheme (Modalities/National UNV volunteer)
16. Application procedures
Interested national candidates should include a detailed curriculum vitae (CV) and an application letter (both in English) marked: “National UNV volunteer Editor/Communications Specialist for VDVN project” to the address below or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferable)
UNV Office United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Deadline: 27 December 2009
Acknowledgements will be sent to short-listed applicants only.
The United Nations Volunteers programme is committed to ensuring gender equity among UNV volunteers and welcomes applications from women.